This steamed dish captures the natural flavour of chicken and is, of course, very very easy. The combination of lemon, oyster sauce and a pinch of white pepper is heaven. These light flavours are also great with all manner of seafood, and delightful with pork.
- 50 g (12 oz) free-range or organic chicken thigh fillets, skin on, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1½ lemons, quartered lengthways
- A pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- 2 spring onions (scallions), cut into julienne
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing
- 1½ tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Place the chicken in a shallow heatproof bowl and squeeze the juice from the lemons over the top, then add the lemon skins to the bowl as well. Add all the marinade ingredients to the bowl, mix thoroughly and leave for 30 minutes.
Cover the bowl tightly with foil and place in a large bamboo steamer over a pot or a wok of rapidly boiling water. Put the lid on and steam the chicken for 25 minutes, removing the lid and foil to turn the chicken once during this time.
Turn off the heat and carefully remove the bowl from the steamer. Remove the foil and sprinkle with the pepper and spring onions to serve.