Any fruit in season can be substituted for the berries. I would also spend some dollars on the wine – the better the wine tastes, the better the dessert. This is also wonderful with just whipped cream, natural vanilla extract and icing (confectioners’) sugar added in place of the mascarpone.
- 185 g (61/2 oz/11/2 cups) fresh raspberries
- 375 g (13 oz/21/2 cups) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 375 g (13 oz) savoiardi (lady fingers)
- 525 ml (18 fl oz) Sauternes
- 75 g (21/2 oz) dark chocolate
- Mascarpone cream
- 3 free-range egg yolks plus 4 free-range egg whites
- 120 g (41/4 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 375 g (13 oz) mascarpone cheese
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) thin (pouring) cream
Spoon half the mascarpone cream into a 3 litre (105 fl oz) trifle bowl. Mix the berries together and scatter over the mascarpone cream. Dip the savoiardi into the Sauternes, then arrange on top of the berries. Spoon the remaining mascarpone cream over the top, cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Finely grate the chocolate over the trifle to serve.